Sunday, April 22, 2012

Natural Child Birth - Unexpected!

I was sitting at home on a Friday night, my cousin Candyce was there, we had just ordered Pizza and I was enjoying it and listening to her joke that if I went into labour she refused to clean up any mess on the floor. Then her mom came over to visit also...all the time my mom flying in to visit for a month...remember I am still 3 weeks away from delivery, so I think everyone is very funny that they are joking about delivery. Then my cousin leaves to go drinking with her friends and my aunt said she would stick around for a bit to say hi to my mom as her plane should be landing in 30 mins, and maybe we could drive over and pick her up.

Low and behold at 10pm my water breaks, just as I go to snuggle with the dog on the couch. I ran to the bathroom, as I thought I had peed myself, and it didn't stop... well as I was sitting on the toilet I get this extreme pain and another and another...I yelled out to my aunt..."I think my water just broke and I'm in labour". She goes into full panic mode and I start to laugh...NOW WHAT!!!

Mom Joke

My first thought is to call my other aunt and ask her to pick up my mom at 1030 and bring her to the hospital....contractions are completely taking my breath away and my aunt has no idea where L&D is so I need to explain...she then tells me she doesn't like driving at night......"TOO BAD, FIGURE IT OUT" I said to her.

So now I need to chase the dog around the house and get him into his crate, I have no idea how long I will be and also can't find him. So as I try to get up the stairs to find the dog, my contractions come stronger and I can barely stand...secretly thought I was going to deliver right there. The dog is under the bed and will not come out for anything and because I am groaning, he growls....finally get him out and back downstairs and into his crate.

This whole ordeal took about 15 minutes but felt like a hour.

So once in the car I can finally call Heidi and start timing my contractions....they are 3 minutes apart and lasting 30 seconds. OMG!!!!

So Heidi is on her way, the hospital is aware I am coming and my aunt says to me...'don't worry I have onstar'. I don't think I laughed until that moment...she is so sweet. It was 10 drive to get to the hospital and I am rushed into the assessment room and connected to monitors by 1035.

Heidi had to get Darren to come home, so she was at the hospital by 1045 and my mom was there by 1050, and my two aunts left quickly. All I could do was wave....full labour I was in...although the nurses kept saying "it just feels like labour, it's your first and you are 3 weeks early, so it will be 6-8 hours still". They didn't care that I worked in labour and delivery for the past 6 years and knew what full labour was and 'I was in it!!"

I could not stay in the bed and kept sitting on the toilet to push...mainly because it was so comfortable...I knew the head was coming and yet no one would listen tome.

At 1130 they found a birthing suite and told me I could walk down the long hall to it. I felt that was cruel. Still no one had checked how far along I was...but I knew!! Contractions 2 mins apart and lasting 45 seconds...this baby was going to fall out as I walked...but I did it.

As my mom helped me get undressed, I started to throw up, so back to the toilet for me. haha....it was really comfortable to sit there. Finally I looked at Heidi at 1145 and in a very calm face said, 'can you check, I think the head is coming out'. So Heidi very quickly did and said to my mom, 'she needs to get into the bed or she will deliver on the toilet'. So very quickly my mom and Heidi tried to lift my 185 lb body and push my big fat booty onto the bed. I wasn't even in the bed yet and had another contraction that Heidi timed at 1 min 45 sec. As soon as it was done, I looked at them both and calmly said "I'm pushing". My mom had a paniced look, so I've been told as she watched Heidi leave the room.

Heidi stuck her head out the door and said 'sorry to bother you, but she's pushing'. The nurse hit all the alarm bells and the entire team of people came running into my room...again, still no one had checked me. And yes, I was pushing!!! So after 3 big pushed Preston was born at 1217. 2 hours and 17 min, no assistance (until the last 2 minutes), no drugs and most of the time spend sitting on a toilet seat.

My cousin, aunts, Heidi and my mom were all awesome and we all have laughs about the entire episode. All went smooth, but it could have been really bad.

These darn kids have a mind of their own from moment.

Having a baby is a natural thing. I am glad that we have better means to deliver babies safely and with the assistance of trained professionals. I for one can account for how painful the experience can be but I would recommend that everyone seriously consider natural childbirth before jumping into epidurals and c-sections. 'Too Posh to Push', should not be a saying that is common!

Natural Child Birth - Unexpected!

Related : Baby Room Themes Babie Breast Pregnancy Preparing

No comments:

Post a Comment