Friday, March 30, 2012

Do You Laugh?

My children gave me the idea for this article and unfortunately in not a good way. I was laughing at something with my children when one of them said, "That must be really funny, because Mom doesn't laugh much." Ouch! That hurt. I don't think I'm a dour person, but I really don't laugh that much. I guess I'm always too busy making sure chores are done, laundry is washed, bills are paid, homework is done, etc. You get the picture and I don't think I'm alone.

Have you noticed how easy it is for children to laugh and how often they laugh? My children can start laughing and not stop. Their laughter is infectious. Have you also noticed you don't have to teach children or even babies to laugh, it comes naturally? So, what happens when be become adults. We definitely laugh a lot less.

Mom Joke

Listen to these neat facts about laughing:

1. One minute of laughing can keep you feeling relaxed for an hour.

2. A simple smile boosts immunity.

3. 15 minutes of laughter can burn as many as 50 calories. (I need to laugh several hours a day to lose some weight.)

4. People smile only 35% as much as they think they do.

5. Laughter is contagious.

We certainly know laughter is contagious. If you have ever had a bunch of giggly girls spending the night at your house or boys for that matter, you know laughter is as contagious as chicken pox.

So, what does the Bible say about laughter. Did God create laughter as well? I think it is so neat that laughter is discussed in the first book of the Bible. In Genesis 21:5-6, "5 Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him. 6 Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." I have to admit I would be laughing if God told me I would bear a child at 90 years of age. Don't you think God knew Isaac's name would be laughter? I do think God has a sense of humor. I think when Jesus asked the little children to come to him that he enjoyed the children. It doesn't say in the Bible what they discussed, but can't you just imagine him laughing and smiling with them. All the wonderful questions the children asked Jesus and he patiently listening to them. Ecclesiastes talks about a time to weep and a time to laugh. I think God created us to laugh and to enjoy his creation and his children.

How can we begin to laugh more? I think our children are the best teachers. Listen to their jokes and laugh, a good hearty laugh. Maybe get a joke book to share with your children. Your teenagers need to laugh as well. Tell them some jokes. Your teens may think the jokes are lame, but they will probably be laughing on the inside. Tickle your children and laugh with them. Sometimes (and I'm talking to myself here) we take ourselves too seriously. As Christians we should be some of the happiest people in the world, but often we look the most depressed. We should be the leaders in laughing and having a good time that honors God.

So, can I encourage you this month to choose to laugh more and have fun with your children. You may even learn a few good jokes.

Do You Laugh?

Related : Babie Breast Pregnancy Preparing Baby Room Themes

No comments:

Post a Comment