Sunday, September 4, 2011

Adjust your mindset on how to deal with dementia

The hardest part of being the caregiver of a patient's dementia is that very often, that man is a parents' trust and respect. Suddenly you find yourself taken care of someone around you all your life as a parent or grandparent. Because of the type of dementia your relationship with this person going to change radically. You can not "in this together" with a patient's dementia. This achievement requires a little ', but it is important to you andthe patient.

Dementia can occur rapidly or slowly, but the irregularity of the process, the most cruel is that the moments of clarity, that at least, may think that there was a reversal or hope that the decade strange behavior that the exception not the rule. "Hope Springs Eternal" is like a natural thing, and yet can really play havoc with the mentality of a caregiver.

Mom Joke

A month after I moved with my mother, whose physical characteristicsand mental health declines seriously, I remember sending a lively e-mail to my sister one evening, where my mother could make their bank books to review describes the mental subtraction (not a computer write numbers as it is calculation), make derogatory remarks about my writing, and discuss the outstanding bills. I was impressed and convinced me that it was on the mend. In my eyes was all that was necessary that I offer to go to a certain degree of supportbecause at 87, was "normal" and "off" days. They were literally able to "forget" everything I had seen in the previous month! I slept well that night, thank God, because the next morning, it was obvious that still could not believe what them around and accused me of stealing his car keys and not give her prescribed medications. My mindset has never been granted these days: the incident was much stronger than the joy. I was devastated. Elation is based on aIllusion, as a rule is created, the reality of the disaster.

So how do you manage? How do you avoid feeling like a yo-yo? Everyone is different, so I can only say what worked for me. I shortened the string.

The moments of euphoria that you feel are dealing with a dementia patient's sudden moments of recognition of the mother "old", father, etc. and hope to come after almost uncontrollable. I have found that out of the blue and so unexpected thatas an intense flash, often leads to tears of joy. Over the months, though, I worked a lot on my mind, so that the first time I heard my mother is a joke, I could not laugh at the joke was all bogged down. It was like his old self. These moments should be enjoyed in any case and are, in fact, what we care so rewarding: the knowledge that thanks to your care, the patient can sometimes recover some of his "old"Themselves and enjoy these moments with you. But we must never forget: it is "occasionally" and "part". Moments when you can hold on this reality, then the joy is tempered incidents are more and more padded.

Avoid sudden changes of mood is important to accept the status quo. I never think about the future because it is an exercise in futility. I'm here for my mother until she goes. How can I get plans for the future because there is no way of knowing when to go, butWho should I also be for life by their decay and death. I am a very practical person, I have dealt with legal issues and come to some decisions about how I'm going to take care of my mother, when her attention goes beyond my physical or mental capacity. I feel fully supported by my family and I am satisfied with my current mentality. What more can you ask?

My mother is going through a good patch, we take each day as it comes. I try to keep them moving andInvolved as much as possible and for the moment, it works. I tell myself that positivity breeds positivity, I try to pleasantly their situation, which in turn are more attentive to me and said yes. I like the day without thinking about the future and the crisis that inevitably will. What earthly use?

Adjust your mindset on how to deal with dementia

Tags : Baby Room Themes

No comments:

Post a Comment